Southern Turkey was hit by a 6.4-magnitude earthquake on Monday, only two weeks after the region was devastated by a massive earthquake and aftershocks. Turkey’s Disaster and Emergency Management Authority (AFAD) confirmed on Tuesday that six people had died, and 294 others were injured, including 18 in critical condition.
8 dead and hundreds injured
Turkey again suffers from earthquake, 8 dead and hundreds injured,On Monday, the United States Geological Survey reported a 6.3 magnitude earthquake on the border of Syria and Turkey. This event occurred just two weeks after the region was struck by a devastating earthquake that took the lives of over 44,000 people.
The Associated Press has stated that the recent quake has resulted in the deaths of at least six people in Turkey, with a further two fatalities in Syria, as reported by pro-government media. Additionally, more than 190 people were injured in Syria, while in Turkey, 294 others were reported injured by the disaster response agency.
The epicenter of the earthquake was near the city of Uzunbağ, located in the far southern region of Turkey, close to Syria and the Mediterranean Sea. The Turkish government also verified the earthquake on their official Twitter account.
Thousands of aftershocks have followed the initial earthquake that occurred on February 6, highlighting the prolonged danger from earthquakes long after the initial tremors have ceased.
Reports from Reuters indicate that the earthquake caused panic and structural damage to buildings in the nearby city of Antakya. Furthermore, people felt the earthquake as far away as Egypt and Lebanon.
According to pro-government news outlets in Syria, a woman and girl had died as a result of the panic during the new earthquake. The first earthquake on Monday was followed by a second 5.8 magnitude quake, according to AFAD, which urged people to stay away from the coastline as a precaution against possible rising sea levels. The 5.8 earthquake was the largest of the 90 aftershocks that followed the 6.4 quake, AFAD said on Tuesday.
The earthquakes hit Turkey’s Hatay province and were felt in Syria, Jordan, Israel, and Egypt as well. The combined death toll in Turkey and Syria from the massive earthquakes that hit the region earlier this month has neared 45,000.
Lutfu Safas, the mayor of Hatay, told Turkish broadcaster NTV on Monday that several buildings had collapsed and trapped people inside. Safas urged people to avoid going near or inside damaged buildings. Syrian state media said Monday that six people had been taken to Aleppo University Hospital as a result of falling debris.
The Syrian Civil Defense, also known as the White Helmets, said in an update on Tuesday that about 190 people had suffered various injuries as a result of falling debris, jumping from buildings, stampedes, and fainting. The earthquake caused the collapse of cracked buildings in several cities and damaged a number of other buildings. But there were no cases of people being trapped under the rubble, they added.
The White Helmets said on Monday that there was “a state of panic and fear among the people” as a result of the new quake. The Syrian American Medical Society, which operates hospitals in northern Syria, said a number of people, including a seven-year-old boy, had been treated after suffering heart attacks brought on by fear from the earthquakes.
If you like our facts then do like and share
Some more interesting new like this :-